Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Dome of the Century

     Clip-clop. Clip-clop. Clip-clop. The annoying drumming of horseshoes distracted my brain as I walked past the unfinished Florence Cathedral. Cosimo de Medici had big plans to make a dome, but all he had was an architect named Brunelleschi. Clip-clop. Clip-clop. I guess Medici was pretty sagacious, but it bothered me to see they hadn't started yet. Clip-clop. Clip-clop. It was very loud now, and I felt my head was swimming. I almost decided to haggle with the man on the horse, but I turned on a side street to get rid of all the noises of the avenue. Finally the clip-clopping went away and a man walked up to me.
     "Hi, my name is Cosimo de Medici," he said. I was stunned. I was speechless and had no idea how this man came upon me. I turned and stared.
     "I can see that you are surprised among my arrival," he said after I didn't reply. I stood there for a couple more seconds before realizing I was embarrassing myself.
     "Ye, Yes sir. I have just never met you before," I said shaky, and I looked away. I regretted it as soon as it came out. Suddenly a clamor arose from the street, and me and Cosimo turned to look. A feud had erupted between two men. They argued for a good 2 minutes before the noise died back down. Cosimo asked me to help build the big dome, and soon enough I got a hold of myself and agreed.
     Brunelleschi and I helped each other (It was mainly Brunelleschi taught me because I didn't know a thing about architecture, but...) to complete the Florence Cathedral taking many long days and weeks. The bricks were finally done, and I could be heading home now to real time. I had learned a lot and was not going to forget my time and hard work with a great architect.

1 comment:

  1. Because you use onomatopoeia, this post has a great sound.

    ReplyDelete