Friday, January 27, 2012

M6 A Safari in Rwanda

     Our jeep scurried along the river as I peered out into the empty forest around us. We'd been traveling in this vehicle for 3 hours on a safari, but had only seen one animal: A squirrel. Our guide was so lazy, all he did was sit there and drive the thing. He was the biggest buffoon ever. He went 50 MPH and one time he fell asleep and almost drove us into a pond. We had to steer the wheel back onto the path, almost hitting a tree, then shake him awake almost hitting another tree. He had to scream on the breaks, so he wouldn't crash us back into the lake. This is how we saw the squirrel. It was so frightened, it ran up a tree, ran down it, then ran back up the tree.
     We were now heading back to the camp, but still had a couple miles to go. I was sure we weren't going to see anything, but I stayed alert in case our driver fell asleep again. I thought I saw a glimpse of black hidden in between two bushes, but our jeep was moving so fast, I couldn't tell what it was. I relaxed back into my seat and realized I was so angry with our driver, but hadn't done anything to stop him. I almost decided to go talk to him, but didn't really find any good words.
     So, there I was, bored to death when suddenly something caught my eye again. The truck stopped, so the guide must have seen it too...But that was impossible because our guide would never see anything. I looked back to see if our guide had fallen asleep on the brakes or something, but instead there was someone else at the wheel. It was another guide.
     This guide knew what he was doing and now I realized that everybody on our truck was new too. A million thoughts seared through my head as I turned back to the animal. It was a lioness and her three cubs sitting in the shade of a tree. I was now so happy and excited that I'd actually seen an animal that I totally forgot about the new people in our truck. The mom was licking its paws and comforting one cub, while the other two cubs were wrestling in the grass. Our truck bolted forward as the guide promised us their would be more to see.
     We went on to see hippos, gorillas, giraffes, elephants, monkeys, and all other things imaginable in Rwanda. I was so happy I didn't even want to even figure out how all these knew people were. It seemed like we went on forever. I woke up. Wait...I woke up? Yes, I looked around the truck to find that I'd been dreaming the whole time and we were going into camp with our old guide and the only thing we saw, a squirrel. I guess none of my problems can be solved, without a couple dreams.

2 comments:

  1. I am very confused about how the drivers switched?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow cool, but i feel like I didn't learn very much about animals

    ReplyDelete